Changing Levels for F-1 Students
A Change of Level, or COL, is a change in your level of education and program while you are at your current school. For example, you are going to graduate from SUNY Plattsburgh, but you have been accepted to and want to attend one of the master’s programs at SUNY Plattsburgh the next semester. Before you graduate, you want to change your current bachelor’s I-20 to an initial master’s I-20.
You may request a Change of Level from the International Student Advisor for a higher level, the same level or after OPT has been completed. The Change of Level process is almost the same as the Transfer process, except you must have your request to change levels to the International Student Advisor either BEFORE you graduate from your current program or no later than 60 days after your current I-20/OPT end date. Please also note that post-completion OPT terminates on the new program start date.
- Acceptance Letter from a SUNY Plattsburgh master’s program
- New Financial Documents for the new program of study
Change of Level Procedures
- Apply and get accepted to a SUNY Plattsburgh graduate program.
- Gather new financial documents which prove that you can support the new program of study.
- Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor and bring all the completed required documents with you.
- The International Student Advisor will look over your documents. If all documents are in order, she will process a Change of Level Pending I-20 for you in SEVIS.
- The International Student Advisor will register you in SEVIS at the start of the new semester, complete your Change of Level in SEVIS, and issue you a “Change of Level Completed” I-20.
If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA