Information for F-1 Students

F-1 Rules of Status

Employment in F-1 Status

Maintaining F-1 Status

Additional Information


On-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

If you are maintaining your full-time student status, you may take a part-time job on campus for 20 hours or less per week while school is in session (fall and spring semesters) as long as it does not interfere with maintaining full-time enrollment. International students may work full-time on-campus while school is not in session (annual vacations and breaks). Students must apply for on-campus work authorization EVERY semester. In order to work on-campus you must follow these steps:

1. Find a job on-campus

Jobs are posted in the ACC, on, BannerWeb, and in many other locations. Keep your eyes open!

2. Obtain an offer of employment

Students should obtain a letter or other proof of employment from their employer. The letter should be signed and appear on the organization's letterhead.

3. Visit GEO to request On-Campus Employment Authorization Form

After finding a job, and obtaining proof of employment students should visit GEO to request the On-Campus Employment Authorization Form. This is a green form issued by an GEO staff member. It is not valid until a member of GEO has signed and sealed it.

4. Begin working or apply for a Social Security Number

If you are renewing your On-Campus Employment Authorization Form you can begin working immediately. If you have never worked in the US before you will need to apply for a Social Security Number. Please visit Social Security Card & Non-Driver State Photo ID for information on obtaining a Social Security Card.


Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: 1-518-564-3287
Fax: 1-518-564-3292
Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students