Information for F-1 Students

F-1 Rules of Status

Employment in F-1 Status

Maintaining F-1 Status

Additional Information


Renewing Your F-1 Visa

Entry visas can only be issued outside of the United States.

We recommend that you apply for your new visa in your home country.

We also strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment in advance before you leave the US and also double check the US embassy website in your country to see if there are other documents that they will require of you.

Standard documents necessary for renewal

  1. Valid Passport (at least 6 months into the future)
  2. DS-160 On-line Non-Immigrant Visa Application
  3. Current Form I-20 (updated with new finances and endorsed for travel)
  4. All previous Forms I-20
  5. New proof of funding
  6. Transcripts from SUNY Plattsburgh and any other previous institutions
  7. Proof of compelling ties to your home country
  8. Enrollment Verification Letter from GEO
  9. Letter from International Student Advisor in support of your renewal
  10. SEVIS I-901 receipt (from your first visa interview)
  11. Any fees that might apply and receipt for them.

May I go to Canada or Mexico to renew my visa?

It depends on how much risk you want to assume in the visa renewal process. Many students wish to travel to Canada or Mexico to apply for a new visa because they are so close to the United States; however, if you are denied a visa in Canada or Mexico, you will not be able to re-enter the US.

If you decide to travel to Canada or Mexico you must be prepared to stay at least four (4) days before your visa application will be approved

If you are a full-time student at SUNY Plattsburgh, and wish to visit Canada or Mexico to apply for a new F-1 visa, GEO recommends that you contact the American embassy in Canada or Mexico before leaving Plattsburgh to schedule an appointment and to check on the embassy's rules and requirements. See list above for the standard documents to bring with you to the visa interview. Once you are granted a visa, you will be able to return to the U.S.


Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: 1-518-564-3287
Fax: 1-518-564-3292
Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students