Information for F-1 Students

F-1 Rules of Status

Employment in F-1 Status

Maintaining F-1 Status

Additional Information


University Dismissals/Withdrawals for F-1 Students

College policies require that all students maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain in “good academic standing.”

At the end of each Fall and Spring semester, our College reviews all students’ academic records based on their cumulative GPAs.

If your cumulative GA is below 2.0, you will fall under “academic progress review” and are subject to academic dismissal from the College.

If you are under review, you will be notified by an e-mail to your Plattsburgh webmail account. This e-mail will come from the Provost/Vice-President for Academic Affairs.

If you receive an e-mail regarding academic progress, you should appeal immediately. You must follow the directions provided and adhere to the deadlines in the e-mail. 

If your request to continue is approved, you will be allowed to enroll at Plattsburgh for the upcoming semester on academic probation. 

If your request is denied, you will not be allowed to enroll at Plattsburgh for the upcoming semester. In order to keep your F-1 or J-1 status, you must have already made plans to transfer to another institution to continue your studies.

Once your dismissal is official and you have not transferred to another institution, your SEVIS record will be terminated.  You must make plans to leave the U.S. as soon as possible.

University Personal, Non-Medical Withdrawals and Leaves of Absence

There is a very good chance that a student will at some point need to withdraw or take a personal, non-medical leave of absence from SUNY Plattsburgh. Examples of personal, non-medical withdrawals and leaves of absence might be:

  1. A family medical emergency,
  2. Financial difficulties,
  3. Required Military Service, or
  4. A transfer to another U.S. school/institution to pursue your course of study.

It is not possible to request a personal, non-medical withdrawal during the last ten calendar days of the semester.

Please note that the procedures laid out below are only for personal, non-medical withdrawals/leaves of absence. For medical/psychological withdrawals, contact the Center for Student Health & Psychological Services (518) 564-2187.

Steps for Personal, Non-Medical Withdraws/Leave of Absences for International Students:

  1. Before taking any action to withdraw from a current or future semester for personal, non-medical reasons, you should make an appointment with the International Student Advisor to discuss your plans. The International Student Advisor will be able to advise you on your immigration options and discuss with you the effect that your withdrawal will have on your immigration status in the United States. 
  2. Contact Student Accounts (518-564-3120) and find out if you will be eligible to receive any refunds. When possible, students should withdraw before the start of the semester to minimize tuition and fee liability. Once the semester starts, the effective date of withdrawal determines whether the student will receive any refund of tuition, fees, or meal plan.
  3. Contact Financial Aid Office (518-564-2072) and find out if your financial aid in the current/and or future semesters will be affected by your withdrawal or leave of absence.
  4. Understand the following college policies and procedures when withdrawing or taking a leave of absence:
    1. If withdrawing from the current semester, full-semester courses are assigned WC grades (withdrawal from college); WC grades do not count in the semester or cumulative grade point averages (GPA). Course(s) completed before the effective date of withdrawal, i.e., courses fewer than 15 weeks, receive the grade earned; these grades count in semester & cumulative GPAs and subject the student to an academic progress review at the end of a semester. Students with cumulative GPAs below 2.0 face academic dismissal from the College. Academic Progress Standards supersede college withdrawals. 
    2. Students granted a college withdrawal relinquish the right to use all college services and privileges.
  5. Complete a SUNY Plattsburgh International Student College Withdrawal Non Medical Form (PDF file size 535KB) and submit it to the International Student Advisor in the GEO Office. Note: this document requires the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.

If you are transferring to another school, your SEVIS record will be officially transferred on the agreed release date. Please see the School Transfer website pages for the school transfer process.

If you are withdrawing completely from SUNY Plattsburgh and returning to your home country, your SEVIS record will be terminated.

When you are ready to return from a personal, non-medical withdrawal/leave of absence, please contact International Admissions and the International Student Advisor. You will receive advisement on readmission and immigration procedures for your return.


Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: 1-518-564-3287
Fax: 1-518-564-3292
Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students