Academic Training for J-1 Students
The Department of State defines academic training as an opportunity for a student “to participate in an academic training program during his or her studies, without wages or other renumeration” [22 C.F.R. § 62.23 (f) (1)]. Both degree-seeking and non-degree seeking J-1 exchange students may engage in academic training.
To be eligible for Academic Training permission, J-1 students must:
- Be primarily in the U.S. to study rather than engage in Academic Training,
- Be participating in Academic Training that is directly related to their major field of study at SUNY Plattsburgh,
- Hold valid J-1 non-immigrant status and have an unexpired DS-2019,
- Be in good academic standing at SUNY Plattsburgh, and
- Receive written approval in advance from the RO/ARO for the duration and type of academic training.
- Academic Training Advisor Authorization Form (140 KB) Note: this document requires the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
- J-1 AT Sample Employment Letter (must be on company letterhead)
Academic Training Application Procedures
- Student schedules a meeting with his or her academic advisor to discuss the student's internship/practicum/cooperative education ideas. Academic advisor must review the student’s internship, practicum, or cooperative education plan and complete a Academic Training Advisor’s Authorization Form (above).
- Student should gather all documentation relating to the proposed internship, practicum, etc. (i.e. signed affiliation contract, signed learning contract, or job offer letter on company letterhead from employer which indicate start and end dates, job responsibilities, number of hours, pay, and address of employer).
- Student schedules an appointment with the International Student Advisor and should bring the completed forms and documentation to the International Student Advisor at the time of the appointment.
- During the appointment, the International Student Advisor will evaluate the documents. If all the documents are in order, the International Student Advisor will authorize Academic Training in the SEVIS system for the employer and dates specified and issue a new DS-2019 to reflect the Academic Training approval. The student must not work before or after the specified dates on the new DS-2019 and must only work for the specific employer(s) indicated on the DS-2019.
For degree and non-degree seeking students, Academic Training can only be authorized in SEVIS for the period of time spent enrolled as a student (example: Javier, a J-1 exchange student, has been enrolled at SUNY Plattsburgh for 12 months. He is eligible for 12 months of Academic Training).
Please note that for non-degree seeking J-1 exchange students there is a 24 month limitation on participation. This includes time enrolled as a student and any Academic Training.
For degree-seeking J-1 exchange students, there is an 18 month maximum on Academic Training (this includes time spent on Academic Training both during and after the program).
For post-completion Academic Training, the start date for employment must be the day after the completion of the student’s program indicated on the student’s DS-2019. There cannot be any gaps in a J-1 exchange student’s program, including Academic Training.
If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA