Information for J-1 Students

J-1 Rules of Status

Employment in J-1 Status

Maintaining J-1 Status

Additional Information


On-Campus Employment  for J-1 Students

Federal regulations require that J-1 exchange students obtain authorization in writing and in advance of their employment start date from their sponsor for all employment, including on-campus employment.

This is very different from F-1 students whose on-campus employment is incidental to their status in the United States.

To be eligible for on-campus employment at SUNY Plattsburgh, a J-1 exchange student must be:

  1. In good academic standing by having a cumulative G.P.A of 2.0, and
  2. Engaged in a full course of study.

If approved by the RO/ARO, a J-1 exchange student may work no more than 20 hours per week in total from all sources of employment while school is in session.  If approved, during campus breaks and vacations, a J-1 exchange student may work up to 40 hours a week.

At SUNY Plattsburgh, authorization for on-campus employment must be obtained every semester.

A J-1 exchange student seeking authorization for on-campus employment should do the following steps:

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR  IIE, IREX, WORLD LEARNING SPONSORED STUDENTS: You must have a letter from your sponsor confirming that you are eligible to work on-campus and authorization in SEVIS before GEO will assist with Social Security Card process. Some programs do not allow their students to engage in employment in the U.S.

1. Find a job on-campus

Jobs are posted in the Angell College Center, on, BannerWeb, and in many other locations. Keep your eyes open!

2. Obtain an offer of employment

Students should obtain a letter or other proof of employment from their employer. The letter should be signed and appear on the organization's letterhead.

3. Visit GEO to request On-Campus Employment J Visa Authorization Form/Report Your On-campus Employment in SEVIS

After finding a job, and obtaining proof of employment students should visit your International Student Advisor to request an On-Campus Employment J Visa Authorization Form. This is a green form and is not valid until the International Student Advisor has signed and sealed it.

In addition, while you are at GEO, the International Student Advisor must report your on-campus employment in SEVIS.  A new DS-2019 may be printed for you to sign and keep with the rest of your documents.

4. Begin working or apply for a Social Security Number

If you are renewing your On-Campus Employment Authorization Form you can begin working immediately. If you have never worked in the US before you will need to apply for a Social Security Number through your International Student Advisor. Please visit Social Security Card & Non-Driver State Photo ID for information on obtaining a Social Security Card.


Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: 1-518-564-3287
Fax: 1-518-564-3292
Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students