J-1 Student Transfer From SUNY Plattsburgh to Another University
If an exchange student wishes to transfer from SUNY-Plattsburgh to another program sponsor in the States, he or she is eligible IF:
- The purpose of the transfer is to complete the original objective for which he or she was admitted to J-1 status,
- The exchange student remains within the same J-1 category, and
- The exchange student is in valid J-1 status.
- Acceptance Letter and Transfer Form from New Institution
- SUNY Plattsburgh J-1 Student Transfer Out Form (PDF file size 350 KB. Note: this document requires the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download).
When Can a J-1 Student Transfer Out?
A J-1 student must discuss his or her transfer out date with his or her RO/ARO. According to regulations, the RO/ARO at the transfer-out institution will discuss any issues with the RO/ARO at the transfer- in institution.
Procedures for School Transfer
The J-1 exchange student must:
- Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor to discuss the transfer details.
- The International Student Advisor will contact the RO/ARO at the new institution to discuss the proposed transfer.
- Once the transfer has been approved verbally, obtain an acceptance letter and transfer form from the new institution (usually called a SEVIS transfer form and is available from the new school’s International Student Advisor).
- Complete a SUNY Plattsburgh J-1 Transfer Out Request.
- Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor and bring the above required documents to your appointment.
The International Student Advisor will assess your situation. If all the documents are in order, he or she will "transfer out" your SEVIS record.
If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA