Information for J-1 Scholars

Rules of Status for J-1 Scholars

Employment in J-1 Scholar Status

Maintaining J-1 Scholar Status


J-1 Scholar Transfer from SUNY Plattsburgh to another University

If an J-1  scholar wishes to transfer from SUNY-Plattsburgh to another program sponsor in the States, he or she is eligible If:

  1. The hosting department at SUNY Plattsburgh approves the transfer in writing.
  2. The purpose of the transfer is to complete the original objective for which he or she was admitted to J-1 status,
  3. The scholar remains within the same J-1 category, and
  4. The scholar is in valid J-1 status.

Required Documents

  1. Transfer Approval Letter from your hosting department at SUNY Plattsburgh
  2. Acceptance Letter and Transfer Form from New Institution
  3. Completed SUNY Plattsburgh J-1 Scholar Transfer Out Form

When Can a J-1 Scholar Transfer Out?

A J-1 scholar must discuss his or her transfer out date with his or her RO/ARO. According to regulations, the RO/ARO at the transfer-out institution will discuss any issues with the RO/ARO at the transfer- in institution.

Procedures for School Transfer

The J-1 scholar must:

  1. Speak with your host department and obtain in writing approval of the proposed transfer.
  2. Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor to discuss the transfer details.
  3. The International Student Advisor will contact the RO/ARO at the new institution to discuss the proposed transfer.
  4. Once the transfer has been approved verbally, obtain an invitation letter/appointment letter and transfer form from the new institution (usually called a SEVIS transfer form and is available from the new school’s International Student Advisor).
  5. Complete a SUNY Plattsburgh J-1 Scholar Transfer Out Request Form.(PDF file size 350KB)
  6. Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor and bring the above required documents to your appointment.

The International Student Advisor will assess your situation. If all the documents are in order, he or she will "transfer out" your SEVIS record.


Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: 1-(518)-564-3287
Fax: 1-(518)-564-3292
Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students