Enrolled International Students

Health Insurance

Immigration Status

Life in the U.S.


Social Security Card Non-Driver State Photo ID for International Students

Social Security Card

Recently, the Social Security Administration (SSA) has implemented a new policy that social security numbers are issued to international students for the purpose of employment only. Therefore, the SSA is requesting schools to verify that students are in need of a social security number for employment by issuing a letter addressed to the SSA office. In order for F-1 students to receive a social security letter from International Students Services, a student must have a letter on company letterhead with an official signature from either an on- or off-campus prospective employer offering the student a job.

Students should remember to take:

  • GEO social security letter
  • Employment offer letter
  • On-campus Employment Authorization (green authorization form from GEO to work on- campus)
  • Original immigration documents (Form I-20, passport, visa, I-94)

The Plattsburgh social security office located at:

Social Security Administration Office
Gateway Building, Suite 230
14 Durkee Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Toll-Free Phone: (866) 964-7430
Phone: (518) 562-5421

Please note that F-1 students must wait at least 15 days after entering the States to submit a social security card application. However, the SSA office takes between 2 to 4 weeks to process the social security application and send an official social security number card to students.

Please visit the Social Security Administration website for further social security information related to international students.

Non-Driver State Photo ID

An international student who does not have a driver license can apply to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for a non-driver state photo ID card. He/She must provide originals of the following documents for a total of 6 points in order to apply for the non-driver state photo ID card:

  1. A valid passport with your visa and form I-94 with status code F1 or F2 and form I-20. You must show your original entry document and any extension document stamped by the USCIS with form I-20 (Worth 3 points)
  2. A US Social Security card that shows your signature (Worth 2 points)
  3. A US college photo ID card and an academic transcript (Worth 2 points)
  4. A supermarket check-cashing card, bank card or bank statement (Worth 1 point)
  5. An utility bill including the bursar's bill (Worth 1 point)
  6. If you do not have a social security number, you must provide a letter or form SSA-L676 from the US Social Security

Administration (SSA) that states you are not eligible for a Social Security Card. Please visit the New York Sate Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for more information.

Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: (518) 564-3287
Fax: (518) 564-3292
Email: GEO@plattsburgh.edu

Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students