Accepted International Students

Coming To Plattsburgh


Campus Life


Contact Us

Information For


Preparing for Your Trip to Plattsburgh

International students accepted to Plattsburgh State should be mindful of the following:

Identification Number

Before your arrival at Plattsburgh State University, you were assigned a nine-digit identification number, which appears on your identification card. This number is a substitute for the Social Security Number (SSN or SS#) that each U.S. citizen receives from the federal government. This Social Security Number is used for a number of purposes including banking, taxes, and identification.

This identification number has been issued to you for record keeping purposes only at Plattsburgh State University. This number is encoded on your ID and allows you access to the dining halls, course registration, etc.

If you would like to open a bank account in the U.S., you should obtain a Social Security Number from the U.S. federal government. To do so you must go to the Social Security Administration Office, located on Route 9 North in Plattsburgh. You will need to bring: a letter from the bank stating that you need a Social Security Number and your passport for identification.

Health Insurance

What if you were to have a serious illness, a major accident or an emergency away from campus? Even a brief stay in a U.S. hospital can cost thousands of dollars. The health care system in the United States is confusing and expensive. Although in many countries the government bears the expense of health care for its citizens, in the United States individuals are responsible for these costs. As a student you can use the Student Health Center for minor accidents and illnesses. Usually the cost of this care is covered by your student fees but you may have to pay extra for some services.

However, this is not enough for serious illnesses, major accidents or emergency care away from the campus. To protect you in these circumstances, it is necessary to have insurance coverage. For this reason, all international students are required to have international student health insurance coverage. Health insurance policies for international students are different form the policies of U.S. students. While the coverage is very good, it is very important that you understand the terms of the policy otherwise you must pay all the hospital bills.

We have found that the best way to provide health insurance at the lowest cost is to have a group plan for students. Today, the International Group Services is able to offer a plan at a cost of about $40 per student per month. This plan is available per semester or at an annual rate. You can pick up a brochure at the International Student Services or at the Health Center. Please note that you are required to purchase a policy within this plan or show proof of equal coverage.

In order to use the international student health insurance you should first go to the Health Center which is located behind the College Store. Most services are free. If you need treatment in a hospital or from a specialized physician, you will need to visit the Student Health Center to authorize insurance coverage. They will refer you to a qualified physician in the community. In order to have the insurance company pay for you, the Health Center must authorize the claim form.

Please remember: The primary rule is that you must first seek medical advice from the Student Health Center. The Health Center will refer you to a doctor or to the hospital if you need more treatment. If you do not go to the Health Center first (that is, if you go directly to a private doctor or to the hospital) you will have to pay the first $50.00 of the bill. Therefore, every claim form sent to the insurance company must show a referral by the Student Health Center.

You are being given an insurance policy brochure. Read it thoroughly! Knowing the terms can help you avoid unnecessary costs. If you have any questions, see Linda Dragon at the Health Center, 564-2187. If you receive a medical bill or if a claim is rejected and you do not understand why, do not ignore it! Gather all the information related to the bill or claim and see the International Student Advisor.

What Should I Bring With Me?

On-Campus Room Furnishings

Each student is provided an extra-long twin size bed and mattress, desk, chair, dresser and closet. In addition, each room has at least one mirror and one towel rack per student. Computer network jacks are available in each residence hall. Computers and printers are available in various academic locations.

Suggested items you may bring

Items in the table below are in three categories.  The "Must Bring" category represents items you MUST bring.  These items are essentials.  The second category represents items that are important to have.  They are items you MUST have at SUNY Plattsburgh but you do not need to bring them with you.  You may find andbuy these items here in the US.  So if you cannot bring them, then bring some money so that you can buy them.  The third category represents items that make life confortable.  It's good to have these items, it's good to bring or buy them, but also it is okay not to have them. Our categorization is general.  There may be some items that you may see as important or must bring, however we strongly encourage you to make sure that you bring the "Must Bring" items.

Must Bring



  • Address book

  • Eyeglasses/contact lenses (if needed)

  • Dictionary

  • Medicine & prescriptions

  • Towel, soap and lotion

  • Tooth brush and paste

  • Slippers/flip flops

  • Back pack

  • Warm sweaters (for winter)

  • Warm hats and gloves (for winter)

  • Warm coats (for winter)

  • Insulated & waterproof boots (for winter)

  • Shorts (for summer)

  • T-shirts (for summer)

  • US Dollars

  • Alarm clock

  • Study lamp

  • Pillows & pillowcases

  • Blankets

  • Pajamas

  • Bedspread & sheets (extra long twin)

  • Clothes (Jackets, dress shoes, formal attire)

  • Jeans or pants

  • Umbrella

  • Hair dryer

  • Music from your home country

  • Camera

  • Mattress pad

  • Items to decorate the room

  • Personal computer

  • Laundry bag or basket

  • Throw rugs

  • Athletic shoes

  • Traditional dress/outfit

  • Bathrobe

  • Photos (family and friends)

  • Hangers

  • First aid kit

Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: (518) 564-3287
Fax: (518) 564-3292
Email: [email protected]

Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students