Accepted International Students

Coming To Plattsburgh


Campus Life


Contact Us

Information For


Traveling to the United States

Getting to Plattsburgh By Air

The Plattsburgh International Airport is located just miles away from campus and is our preferred arrival airport for new students.  You may also look at flights arriving into larger airports in our region.  In those cases, please take note of the need for you to arrange additional ground transportation to Plattsburgh.  Our most popular options are listed below in preferred order:

Driving To Plattsburgh

If you are already in New York, take Interstate 87 (the Adirondack Northway) to Exit 37. Turn right at the light and drive east on Route 3 (Cornelia Street) to the "V" intersection with Broad Street. Turn right onto Broad Street. At the third light; you'll be facing the Kehoe Administration Building.

If you are coming from the ferry (from Vermont), follow the signs to Plattsburgh, turning left onto Route 9 (south). Continue on Route 9 (Margaret Street) through downtown Plattsburgh to Broad Street. Turn right onto Broad Street and drive for about one-half mile to the Kehoe Administration Building.

Travel Tips

  • Never leave your luggage unattended at the airport, and do not allow strangers to carry your bags.
  • Always observe signs and regulations in public places.
  • Always carry some local cash, in case of an emergency. Keep the equivalent of at least $75 cash in reserve while traveling. Be discreet about taking out your money and use credit cards when possible.
  • Travel by bus, train, local transportation or car (DO NOT HITCHHIKE!). Do not accept rides from strangers. Take only official taxis from the airport to your final destination.
  • Be careful of whom you give personal information to (i.e., your name or address).
  • Be aware of your surroundings. If you are lost, ask a policeman, security officer, airline personnel or workers in the airport for assistance.
  • If you are threatened, call 911 from any telephone.

For information regarding what you may legally bring into the U.S., check the U.S. Customs website.

Travel to Canada

Citizens of certain countries are required to obtain a visa before they travel to Canada (The countries on the list are subject to change. Please follow the Canadian Consulate link for up-to-date information and applying instructions.)

The fee for a Canadian visitor's visa is $75.00 (U.S.) for a single visit and $150.00 (U.S.) for multiple visits. Payment must be made in cash (if you are applying in person), by money order or certified bank check, payable to the "Canadian Consulate General." Canada currently has bilateral agreements with Iran, Portugal, Turkey, and Yugoslavia which state that although citizens of these countries are required to obtain a visa to enter Canada, they are not required to pay the processing fee.


Contact Information

If you have any questions about international education, admission, or financial aid at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:

Global Education Office
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Kehoe Administration Building, Room 210
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901 USA

Phone: 1-(518)-564-3287
Fax: 1-(518)-564-3292
Email: [email protected]
Facebook:  SUNY Plattsburgh International Students