Building contacts are designated volunteers who help assist with promoting the health, safety and well being of occupants within their building, and assisting the campus in the time of need during campus incidents/events and drills. Building contacts can be easily identified during evacuations because they will wear a florescent green safety vest with the words “building contact” on the back. They can also be identified in poorly lit situations because they will carry a green glow stick.
During an evacuation, you should exit the building and go to your assembly point. If there are any issues during the evacuation, please seek out a building contact and report those issues to them.
When it is safe to return to the building, the building contacts will blow their whistles, using three short blows. They will continue this while going around the building. This is the all-clear signal, indicating that it is safe to return to the building.
The assembly points and the campus evacuation procedure can be found online in the following locations:
- Campus evacuation procedure: https://web.plattsburgh.edu/emergency/campusevacuationplan.php.
- Building assembly points: https://web.plattsburgh.edu/emergency/emergencyassemblypoints.php.
If you are interested in becoming a building contact, please e-mail Michael Caraballo at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Role & Responsibility
- Be familiar with campus emergency procedures.
- Promote awareness of proper evacuation procedures and assist with orderly evacuations.
- Identify special needs for injured/disabled people, and notify emergency responders
- Assist those in need during campus emergencies.
- Identify and report general building safety and security concerns to the appropriate service department:
- Deficiencies in signage
- Damaged/missing signage, posters on fire doors, etc.
- Unsafe building conditions
- Slip, trip and fall hazards; access/egress obstacles, physical damage, etc.).
- Disseminate emergency/critical information to building occupants upon request.
- Assist other Building Contacts if needed.
Who is My Building Contact?
For more information, please contact:
Emergency Management Director
Phone: (518) 564-4950
Fax: (518) 564-7986