Student Information in a Weather Emergency
The Emergency Response Guide contains instructions to assist members of the SUNY Plattsburgh Community in responding to a variety of emergencies that may affect the campus. Please bookmark the web page for quick reference.
The college will provide notification of class cancellations due to extraordinary weather based on location as follows:
- Information for main campus students.
- Information for branch campus students at both locations (SUNY Adirondack & Hudson Valley Community College).
- Information for all SUNY Plattsburgh students regardless of location.
- Information for main campus students:
Decisions to cancel/delay classes at the main campus of SUNY Plattsburgh will be made as early as possible in the day, preferably prior to 6 a.m., or as soon as possible if affecting afternoon/evening classes.
The campus community is then notified through various means:
- A message will be sent to the campus community via email as an emergency/critical announcement.
- An announcement will be placed on the homepage web.plattsburgh.edu; under Campus Alerts on the portal at my.plattsburgh.edu; and additional information will be posted on web.plattsburgh.edu/emergency.
- Radio and television stations will be notified as soon as a decision is made. For more information on the stations notified, go to web.plattsburgh.edu/emergency/weatherannouncements.php.
- Depending on the severity of the situation, the college may send notifications to students via SUNY NY-ALERT via voice/text messages and emails.
- In the residence halls, posters will be placed on entry doors announcing the cancellation of classes due to inclement weather.
Note: Students can call the CLAS Line (518-564-2527) for status of classes.
- Information for branch campus students at SUNY Adirondack and Hudson Valley Community College:
Class Closing Information Line – 518-792-5425, Ext. 114 – For information on weather-related cancellation of classes, please call the Branch Campus at Queensbury office at 518-792-5425, Ext. 114. Information on class cancellations will also be posted on the website web.plattsburgh.edu/branchcampus.
In most instances, the Branch Campus at Queensbury will follow SUNY Adirondack and Hudson Valley Community College for weather-related class cancellations. If SUNY Adirondack or Hudson Valley CC announce class cancellations in the media, those announcements usually will apply to branch campus courses at those respective campuses.
Meanwhile, cancellation of classes at the main campus will not necessarily result in the cancellation of branch campus classes, especially if SUNY Adirondack is open except for those classes originating from main campus via the videoconferencing platform.
SUNY Adirondack emergency information:
For emergencies that take place at SUNY Adirondack, call 911 OR contact the following:
- Director of Facilities 518-743-2240 (8 a.m. - 4 p.m. weekdays)
- Campus Security at 518-796-1344 (4 - 10 p.m. weekdays)
Hudson Valley Community College Emergency Information:
For emergencies that take place at Hudson Valley Community College, call 911 from any campus or emergency phone OR call 518-629-7210 from any cell phone or public phone to reach Public Safety at Hudson Valley Community College. Public Safety is located in the Siek Campus Center, Rm. 170, and is open 24 hours a day.
- Information for all SUNY Plattsburgh students regardless of location:
When an off-campus student feels weather conditions have made it unsafe to travel to campus for classes and the college has not cancelled classes, we advise the student to contact individual faculty members directly to inform them of the situation, as all students are expected to abide by each instructor’s class attendance policy. Regardless of whether an absence is excused or unexcused by the instructor, the student is responsible for making up all work that is missed. For more information, see Class Attendance in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog (Page 35 of 2012-13 catalog).
For more information, please contact:
Emergency Management Director
Phone: (518) 564-4950
Fax: (518) 564-7986