Special Collections Reading Room Guidelines
Many of our Special Collections holdings are unique, rare, or impossible to replace. The following guidelines help us to preserve and protect the collection. Please note that our materials do not leave the room, and that Special Collections is a quiet study area.
- To insure security of the collection, sign-in is mandatory. Positive identification may be required.
- Coats and bags must be left by the coat rack. Only those materials that are essential for research (notebooks, pencils) may be brought to the study tables.
- Food and drinks are not permitted in Special Collections.
- Monographs and periodicals are open-stack materials. Other materials, such as manuscripts, photographs, pamphlets, clippings, films, maps, and rare books are in the closed stacks. Fill out a call slip or manuscript application for these materials and give it to the attendant, who will retrieve the material you need.
- When you are finished with materials, please leave them on the study table.
- Personal scanners are not permitted in Special Collections. If you wish to have anything copied or scanned, fill out a Duplication Request form and give it to the attendant. Whenever possible, scans or copies will be made while you wait. During busy times, or for large orders, photocopies will be available within 24 hours and scans will be available within five business days. We cannot provide photocopying or scanning within 15 minutes of closing time. Please refer to our Duplication Guidelines to see our fees.
- The use of photographic equipment must have prior written approval from the Special Collections librarian. Regular duplication fees apply to all items photographed by researchers.
- Do not mark any Special Collections materials. Use of pens and magic markers is not permitted in Special Collections. Pencils are available on all of the study tables.
- In rare instances, some materials will not be available for research. These circumstances include materials in very poor condition, those with legal restrictions, and donor requests.
- Personal laptops are permitted in the Reading Room.
- Due to space limitations, Special Collections seating is only for persons utilizing the collection.
For more information about Special Collections at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Debra Kimok, Special Collections Librarian
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel. (518) 564-5206