Special Collections Internships
Special Collections invites students from any SUNY Plattsburgh department to apply for an internship.
Materials in Special Collections focus on the history of the northern New York State counties of Clinton, Essex, and Franklin, and the Adirondack and Champlain Valley regions. We collect monographs, periodicals, pamphlets and other ephemera, audio and video materials, photographs, maps, and manuscripts.
Special Collections also houses and preserves the SUNY Plattsburgh College Archives.
How to Apply
- Review the Internship requirements found on the Learning Contract and Internship Proposal.
- Discuss your interests with your faculty sponsor.
- Contact the Special Collections librarian to discuss possible projects.
- Complete the Learning Contract and Internship Proposal.
Sample Special Collections Internships
- New York Heritage Project. Student will select, scan, and add materials and metadata to the New York Heritage project.
- Collection Processing. Most suitable for students interested in history, museums, or archives. Student will complete processing of a collection and will prepare a Manuscript Guide for the collection.
Students may discuss other Internship ideas with their faculty sponsor and the Special Collections librarian.
- The student in this position must be responsible, dependable, and attentive to detail. Good written communication skills are essential.
- Time Requirement: The number of hours spent on the project is dependent upon the number of credits the intern wishes to earn. Detailed information can be found on the Learning Contract and Internship Proposal. The student must be available to work the required number of hours during times that Special Collections is open. Please refer to Special Collections hours.
- Students wishing to apply for this internship must first have a faculty sponsor.
The intern will report to Debra Kimok, Special Collections Librarian, who will evaluate the internship at its conclusion. The intern's faculty sponsor will assign the grade for the internship.
For more information about Special Collections at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Debra Kimok, Special Collections Librarian
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel. (518) 564-5206