Human Resources FAQ


Questions About Applying to and Working at SUNY Plattsburgh

Who is responsible for employment reference checking and education verification?

The hiring department is responsible for verifying degree completion and employment references. All information must be verified prior to the offer of employment. Employment References for some positions will be done electronically by Skill Survey. This electronic reference check is coordinated by email and is a crucial step in the hiring process, so timely completion is necessary. All employees hired for a position with a degree requirement will need to provide original transcripts prior to the start of employment.

What employment opportunities do you have available for clerical (Civil Service), maintenance, professional, or teaching positions?

Vacancies can be found on the Human Resource Services Jobs website.  All applications are processed electronically through this website.  Computer stations are provided outside of the Human Resource Services office for those individuals who do not have access to the web.

Can I apply for a Civil Service vacancy?

You can apply if you have taken a civil service exam and receive a canvass letter for that specific vacancy.  Otherwise, you can apply if you are a permanent employee at the College and meet the posted qualifications for the position.  Employees from other State agencies who are interested and eligible to transfer to a posted vacancy should check our Jobs website often and apply directly to whichever position interests you.  You may be contacted by Humen Resource Services for additional information in order to verify your eligibility to transfer.

Will I get an interview for a Civil Service vacancy if I received a canvass letter?

A canvass letter is merely an announcement that a vacancy exists in the title for which an individual was tested.  A person must be reachable (one of the top three scores of those individuals who responded interested) to be eligible for an interview.

How do I know which Civil Service Exams are being given and when?

Visit the Civil Service website for information on up-coming exams.

What is an I-9 form and why do I have to show originals as supporting documentation?

The I-9 is a federally required document that verifies that an individual is eligible for employment in this country.  According to the rules governing the completion of the I-9, only original documents can be used.  You can find the required documentation listed on the back of the I-9 form: one document from list “A” OR one each from lists “B” and “C”.

How often do I have to complete an I-9 form?

US citizens: I-9’s are valid continuously unless a break of employment occurs.  If an employee is ​re​hired within 3 years of the date that a previous Form I-9 was completed, the employer may either ​request a new Form I-9, or complete Section 3 of the previously completed Form I-9. If the employer previously completed Section 3, or if the version of the form used for a previous verification is no longer valid,  Section 3 of a new Form I-9 must be completed using the most current version and attached to the previously completed Form I-9.  Also, if any supporting documentation is expired, you may have to provide updated documents.  If a rehire occurs after 3 years from the initial date of execution of the Form I-9, a new Form I-9 must be completed.

International employees on H-1B (specialty occupation) or J-1 (exchange visitor) visas must have their I-9 updated each time their visa is renewed.

In the event of a name change, new supporting documentation is also required.

How can I get an official College ID card?

During your orientation with Human Resource Services, you will receive a temporary ID card.  Take this card to the ID Card Office in Clinton Dining Hall to have your picture taken and they will give you an official College ID card.

How do I initiate a position reclassification?

Contact your Human Resource Services liaison to discuss the process.  You must be eligible for the requested title, complete a Reclassification Questionnaire and Supervisor Statement, and other appropriate documentation such as a current organization chart so that a position analysis may be conducted.  Supervisory and Vice Presidential input and support is also required.

Can a part-time professional staff appointee (academic or professional employee) be granted tenure?

The Policies of the Board of Trustees of the State University of New York exclude part-time service in determining eligibility for tenure.  [Reference Article XI, Title B (for academic employees) and Article XI, Title C (for professional employees) of the Policies.]

Can a person appointed to qualified academic rank be given a term appointment?

Yes.  Appointees to qualified academic rank may be appointed to temporary or term appointments.  They receive all other benefits and terms and conditions of employment except that their time in qualified academic rank does not count towards meeting the “academic rank” service requirements for tenure.

How is compensation determined for a professional employee at hire or promotion?

Many factors are involved.  Learn more in the Professional Employees' Compensation and Promotion Plan.

Contact Information

Human Resource Services

Address: 101 Broad Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901-2681
Campus Location: Kehoe 912
Phone: (518) 564-5062
Fax: (518) 564-5060
Email: [email protected]

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:30 pm