University Police

Learn About


Safety Resources

Crime & Fire Statistics



Advice and Tips on Personal Safety

Important Safety Numbers

Campus Safety

  • University Police: (518) 564-2022
  • Emergency: 911
  • Office of Director of Student Conduct: (518) 564-3882
  • Student Health Center: (518) 564-2187
  • Counseling & Psychological Resource Center: (518) 564-3086
  • Angell Center Desk: (518) 564-2121
  • Maintenance & Operations: (518) 564-5010
  • Hazing Hotline: (518) 564-5555
  • City of Plattsburgh Police Department: (518) 563-3411

Health & Wellness Related

  • Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital: (518) 561-2000
  • Sexual Assault Services/ Help Line: 1 (877) 212-2323
  • Clinton County Suicide Hotline: 1 (866) 577-3836
  • Domestic Violence Hotline: (518) 563-6904
  • Alcoholics Anonymous: (518) 561-8444
  • County Mental Health Association: (518) 566-0100
  • Poison Control: 1 (800) 336-6997
  • Hazing Hotline: (518) 564-5555 

Title IX Officer

  • Butterfly Blaise: (518) 564-3281

Escort Service

University Police On-Campus Escort Service available 24 hours a day by calling #2022. Don't be embarrassed to be security conscious. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Blue Light Phones


  • Program University Police's phone number (518) 564-2022 into your cell phone.
  • Familiarize yourself with the locations of the "Blue Light Phones" on campus.
  • Don't hesitate to use one if you believe you are possibly in danger.
  • The phones ring directly into the University Police Department and a code shows which campus phone is activated.
  • An officer is dispatched to check the area.
  • Use foyer phones in the entry ways of buildings to alert University Police to problems.

Harassing Phone Calls

What to Do:

  • If you are receiving harassing phone calls ask University Police to explain their forwarding service or ask telecommunications about call monitoring services. (Note: the call monitoring service is not available between 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. or on weekends.)
  • If you are receiving harassing voice mail messages you must save the message and then you may request that telecommunications trace the message.
  • If you need to have your phone number changed, you can place a request with the Telecommunications Department.
  • If you would like your student information and phone number unlisted, go to the registrar's office and file a request for confidentiality. This will place a warning next to your name that instructs college personnel not to give out your information.
  • If calls are coming from an off campus location keep a log of the calls next to your phone. Include the date, time, description of callers voice, what the caller said and any background noises.
  • Report alarming phone calls to University Police.
  • Avoid intoxicated persons.  If you see a bad situation brewing alert University Police.



  • Walk in well-lit, well-traveled areas.
  • If you are being stalked or suspect you might be the victim of an attack, you may request a duress code, to be assigned to you by the University Police Department. This code will alert University Police that a problem has arisen and an officer will be dispatched to your residence hall entry door.

What to Do:

  • If you suspect that others have your residence hall entry code or room combination, request that it be changed at Campus Life.
  • If you suspect that a car is following you when you are on foot do an "about face", walk in the other direction and go to the nearest public phone and call 911.
  • If you suspect you are being followed by someone on foot, cross the street walking in the opposite direction and go to the nearest public phone to call 911.
  • If while driving you suspect you are being followed by another vehicle, drive directly to the closest police station and honk your horn until an officer comes out to help.

Residence Hall


  • Don't share your residence hall entry code or room combination with anyone.
  • Don't admit strangers to the residence hall, even if they look plausible. Send them to University Police or phone University Police to assist them.
  • Report any suspicious persons or activity to University Police.
  • Keep your room locked both when you are home or away.
  • Use the door viewer to identify callers before allowing entry.
  • Even when just going down the hall to shower or run an errand, lock your door. This will keep petty thieves or a possible intruder from gaining access to your room.
  • Monitor your own personal behavior in regards to alcohol.
  • Often it is not the stranger that jumps out of the bushes who violates you. It is someone you know, someone you are alone with when you may be too intoxicated to protect yourself.

Off-Campus Apartment


  • Place nails into drilled holes through the sashes of the windows, where the sashes come together. This will prevent anyone from opening the window from the outside. To open the windows from the inside simply remove the nails.
  • Keep your door locked when you are at home and away. Intruders can easily enter when you are in the backyard, etc.
  • Get a reinforced strike plate for every door lock.
  • Keep curtains closed at night.
  • Place alarm stickers on your windows and doors.
  • Get a dog, or at least a dog dish. Leave the dish out on the porch where potential burglars can see it.

Your Property


  • Keep cash, credit cards, Personal Billing Number and Personal Identification Numbers secure.
  • Use operation I.D. at University Police to register your bicycle and expensive belongings.
  • Keep your car locked and valuables out of sight.
  • Use book bag lockers at the dining halls.

Contact Information

Plattsburgh State University Police
Phone: (518) 564-2022
Fax: (518) 564-4025
Hazing Hotline: (518) 564-5555
Vandalism Hotline: (518) 564-2677

Email the Parking Office:

In case of an EMERGENCY dial 911

Mailing Address:

University Police Department
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901