Plattsburgh State University Police Requirements and Training
University Police Officer must meet the highest standards in New York State for Law Enforcement officers.
To become a University Police Officer, a person must:
- Be 21 years of Age.
- Be a New York State Resident.
- Have completed 60 college credit hours.
- Possess a valid New York State drivers license.
- Pass a written Civil Service examination and oral interview.
- Pass a medical examination.
- Have binocular acuity of 20/30 corrected or uncorrected, and no less than 20/100 uncorrected.
- Pass a physical agility test.
- Pass a psychological examination.
- Pass an extensive background investigation.
- Pass 16 weeks of basic training.
- Complete a probationary period of employment
Officers receive training in penal law, criminal procedure law, 1st Aid, CPR, defensive tactics, crisis intervention, diversity training, firearms and physical training (PT).
The first step is to pass the Civil Service test. For more information go to your nearest University Police Department or New York State Department of Civil Service.
Plattsburgh State University Police
Phone: (518) 564-2022
Fax: (518) 564-4025
Hazing Hotline: (518) 564-5555
Vandalism Hotline: (518) 564-2677
Email the Parking Office: email@example.com
In case of an EMERGENCY dial 911
Mailing Address:University Police Department
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901