Plattsburgh State Art Museum

Permanent Exhibitions

Contact Us

REQUEST
INFORMATION

Photo of scuptures in the Nina Winkel Sculpture Court

Nina Winkel Sculpture Court

“Art is love, transformed into work.” — Nina Winkel

View the Collection

In The Myers Fine Arts Building, the Winkel Sculpture Court is home to sculptures representing 45 years of artistry by the late Nina Winkel. Works of terracotta, stone, bronze and copper adorn the largest space in our country devoted to art created by one woman.

Portrait of Nina WinkelThe artist was born in Germany in 1905 and died in 1990. Nina was in Paris when it fell to the Nazis and fled to the United States with her husband in 1942, living first in New York City. Unable to speak English in the beginning, she worked as a cleaning woman in the Clay Club, where she later produced her earliest terracotta pieces in this country. She was the first woman in N.Y.C. to get a welder's license, and in 1959 she moved from working in clay to creating welded copper sculptures. Only about five feet tall, Nina eventually had to switch to an acetylene torch because she lacked the strength to handle the heavier welding equipment. The artist has works and commissions in many cities in this country and in Europe, and has shown in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in N.Y.C. Her works reflect her life experiences … World War II … her interest in the Bible and in mythology … her sense of humor.

The Winkel Sculpture Court was made possible by the generous donation of George and Nina Winkel to the SUNY Plattsburgh College Foundation. The dedication ceremony was held on October 24, 1987. The donation included sculpture, drawings and sculpture studies. Some works not on display in the Winkel Courtyard may be viewed at the Rockwell Kent Gallery.

For more information about the donation of artwork to the museum collections, contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at Plattsburgh State.

Contact Information

If you would like more information about the Plattsburgh State Art Museum, please contact:

Phone: (518) 564-2474
Email: artmuseum@plattsburgh.edu