Staff Confidentiality & Training
Approved by Executive Council on December 4, 2012
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
|10011.1||Library and Information Technology Services|
To ensure that all State University of New York College at Plattsburgh (SUNY Plattsburgh) employees are aware of the rules and regulations regarding the privacy and confidentiality of the personal information of the population it serves.
2.0 Revision History
3.0 Units and Persons Affected
All SUNY Plattsburgh staff members
- All SUNY Plattsburgh staff members will:
- follow SUNY Plattsburgh policies and procedures governing information confidentiality and security. All policies may be viewed at web.plattsburgh.edu/policies/
- sign the SUNY Plattsburgh Employee OR Student Agreement to Maintain Confidentiality and Privacy of Records. A copy of this form will be retained in the staff member’s personnel file and renewed on an annual basis. The agreement is available on the Human Resources site.
- complete specific training relevant to their position.
- follow the guidelines established in documented procedures and best practices
- SUNY Plattsburgh will document the training provided and retain for a period of (6) years from the date of creation or date in last effect – whichever is later.
- Upon revision to policies, procedures, standards or requirements, the affected staff members will be re-trained.
- Upon a finding of a break of confidentiality, by an employee in a collective bargaining unit, the Human Resources Executive Director initiates actions pursuant to the applicable collective bargaining agreement to implement an appropriate disciplinary penalty.
- For employees not represented by a collective bargaining unit, sanctions may include actions up to and including termination of employment.
Refer to Information Security Policy for definitions of the following:
- Staff members
- All SUNY Plattsburgh staff will comply with this policy.
- The Human Resources Executive Director and the Human Resource Coordinator for Sponsored Research & Programs will retain a signed copy of the Employee Agreement to Maintain Confidentiality and Privacy of Records in the file of their respective employee populations.
- The Human Resources Executive Director and the Human Resource Coordinator for Sponsored Research & Programs will be responsible for establishing training in the orientation program for their new employees.
- The Department Information Steward will be responsible for training staff members according to their specific policies and procedures and the staff member’s role in the department.
- The Department Information Steward will be responsible for the annual renewal of their staff members’ confidentiality agreements and will forward the signed agreements to the Human Resources Executive Director.
- Employee Agreement to Maintain Confidentiality and Privacy of Records
- Confidentiality Agreement for Work Study Students
- LITS Confidentiality Agreement
For questions about the Campus Handbook, please contact:
Management Services Office
Office: Kehoe 710-11
Phone: (518) 564-2538
Fax: (518) 564-2540