Student Employment Opportunities Posting Policy
Approved by Executive Council on April 7, 2015
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
|4040.1||Career Development Center|
To set up guidelines for the purpose of student employment under Federal Work Study program or Temporary Service. This policy is an institutional attempt to discourage unfair or inequitable hiring and to encourage equal employment opportunities for students.
2.0 Revision History
3.0 Units and Persons Affected
- Students (full and part-time) who qualify for Work Study thru the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form;
- Students (full-time) who seek on-campus employment who are not Work Study eligible (Temp Services);
- Employer-Supervisors of departments who hire students (Temp Services and/or Work Study);
- Payroll office employees;
- Career Development Center (CDC) which maintains the job vacancies on the CardinalConnect career services management system;
- Financial Aid personnel who advise students regarding Work-Study eligibility.
- Exempted positions: Graduate Assistantships; Student employees of non-state entities (College Auxiliary Services, Research Foundation, Childcare Center, Start-Up NY businesses, etc.)
- Financial Aid office will advise students with instructions on how to apply for a job via the CardinalConnect system from the MyPlattsburgh portal.
- On-campus offices that wish to hire students into temporary, part time and/or seasonal employment, including those supported by Federal Work Study funds, and which are paid positions, must advertise (or ‘post’) such opportunities through the CDC using CardinalConnect. Jobs must be posted a minimum of three business days before an offer of hire can be made. The Career Development Center will, when specifically requested to do so, affirm the official job posting date. The Payroll office will process the student hiring form (“the three-part form” aka NYS Temp Services Program) and send copies to the CDC for archiving.
- Employer Relations Specialist within the CDC will process job postings as submitted by supervisors within the CardinalConnect system;
- GEO/International Student Services representative will review and approve eligibility for employment for international students;
- Employer-supervisors will develop and post jobs, select preferred applicant(s) according to bona fide criteria; advise selected candidate of the federal law mandating no more than a total of 20 on-campus hours of work per week; tender offers of hire expediently but only after three business days of the job posting date; complete appropriate paperwork for Payroll;
- Student must present appropriate work authorization documentation, including as required for particular individuals and jobs: I-9 (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services form); Temp Service Appointment form; Work Study Appointment form. International students must secure permission from the Global Education Office/International Student Services before submitting hire paperwork to Payroll.
- Employer-supervisor creates an account in CardinalConnect and submits the job for review. (Note: employer-supervisor may require resume, completion of student employment application, letter or essay of interest or other additional materials.)
- Career Development Center staff review submission and approve or send back for refinements.
- Job is posted in CardinalConnect system.
- Employer-supervisor reviews applications; where appropriate, conducts interviews, and selects candidate(s).
- Employer-supervisor completes an Offer of Hire form (three-part form: “NYS Temp Service Program”).
- Selected candidate delivers Offer of Hire form to Payroll for processing. NOTE: International students must secure documentation from GEO/International Student Services before presenting Offer of Hire form to Payroll.
- Payroll will process hiring paperwork to activate employment.
For questions about the Campus Handbook, please contact:
Sean Brian Dermody
Assistant to the Vice President for Administration
Management Services Office
Office: Kehoe 710-11
Phone: (518) 564-2539
Fax: (518) 564-2540