Administrative Policy Development Process
PLEASE NOTE: THIS PAGE IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW
All new administrative policy proposals or amendments to existing policies must comply with the rules stipulated in the College’s Administrative Policy and Procedural Manual. Specific instructions are outlined below.
- Contact Management Services for an official copy of the policy you are seeking to amend. In the case of a new policy, notify Management Services of your intent to draft a policy. In the event that a policy that you seek to amend or draft is already being reviewed by another department, Management Services will notify you and ask you to collaborate with that area to bring forward a single revision/draft.
- Review and complete a Policy Transmittal Sheet. This document is intended to help you assess the need for a proposed policy or revision and will provide important information to committees and individuals responsible for reviewing and approving your proposal. This transmittal sheet also ensures that policy undergo the appropriate review process.
- Using MS Word’s “track changes” function, make proposed revisions to the official copy of the existing policy, or in the case of a new policy, draft the proposed policy using the College’s administrative policy template (MS Word doc file size 34Kb). Existing policies must be revised to reflect the current format before submission. If you have questions about policy format, content or style, please consult the Policy Writing Guide or contact Management Services for assistance.
- Submit the policy cover sheet and final draft form of the policy to the appropriate Dean or Vice President (as applicable) who will determine whether adequate review has been completed, if the proposal is in the proper format, and indicate his/her approval.
- Once approval has been received, the appropriate Vice President will forward the policy to Management Services. Management Services will make the determination of whether the policy is a major revision or minor revision. If the policy change is minor, Management Services will update the Campus Handbook.
- If the policy change is a new policy, major revision, or policy rescission, Management Services will notify the President’s Office and will send copies of the policy materials for Executive Council review. If the policy action is approval at Executive Council, President’s Office will indicate on the Cover Sheet and will send a copy of the cover sheet to Management Service.
- Upon final approval, new or amended polices will be posted to the Campus Handbook. Management Services will also send a notification to the faculty and student digests.
Learn more about the Campus Handbook and administrative policies
- Visit the Campus Handbook
- Review policy and procedure basics at SUNY Plattsburgh
- Visit our policy writing guide
- Download the administrative policy template (MS Word doc file size 34Kb)
- Download the administrative policy action transmittal form
For questions about the Campus Handbook, please contact:
Management Services Office
Office: Kehoe 710-11
Phone: (518) 564-2538
Fax: (518) 564-2540