Wait List Basics
What is a wait list?
A wait list is an electronic list of students who want to enroll in a course that has reached maximum capacity (closed). Wait listing is a registration option, not automatic. Each wait list is built on a first-come, first-served basis and is prioritized according to the date and time students select the wait list option.
How does a wait list work?
- Students register for courses through the Banner Web registration system. When a course reaches maximum enrollment, students may opt to wait list for the course.
- Wait listed students will be moved from the wait list to the course automatically according to wait list priority as seats become available.
- Students moved from a wait list to a course will receive an email addressed to their Cardinal Cloud Email accounts. Check this email account by logging on the MyPlattsburgh and selecting the "G" icon to link to your Cardinal Cloud Email account.
- Students may drop a wait listed course at any time during registration.
- Students are responsible for the accuracy of their course schedules.
What are the requirements to wait list?
Registration rules apply to the wait list process. Inability to wait list or to move from a wait list into a course may be due to one or more of the following registration restrictions:
- class level
- student level
- degree program
- test score
- maximum credits allowed exceeded
- the course requires the approval of the instructor, chairperson, or coordinator to register
Wait Listing Instructions
The registration wait list option is available during priority registration and course adjustment periods only.
A. Log into Banner Web via your MyPlattsburgh portal.
B. Follow the links below:
- Student Menu
- Registration Menu
- Select Term
- Submit Term
- Add/Drop Classes
C. Follow the steps below:
- Enter a course registration number (CRN) for the desired course.
- When the "closed course" registration error message appears in the Status field, use the drop-down arrow under the Action field to select the wait list option.
- Click Submit Changes to enter the wait list action.
- The wait listed course will appear under the Current Schedule section.
To Remove Your Name From a Wait List
- Enter the Banner Web registration system (Add/Drop Menu).
- Use the drop-down arrow under the Action field and select Web Drop
- Click Submit Changes.
SUNY Policy: Students are responsible for all courses on their registration records and the tuition and fees associated with these courses. Non-attendance in registered courses does not remove financial and academic liability.
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (518) 564-2100
Fax: (518) 564-4900
Mailing Address:Registrar's Office SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad St
Plattsburgh, NY 12901