Scholarships Available to Returning Students
A wide range of scholarships are available to returning and enrolled SUNY Plattsburgh students. Areas and types include:
- Community service,
- campus leadership
- certain academic majors
- love of the Adirondacks and environmental conservation,
- financial need
- participation in the arts,
Currently Available Scholarships
Note: Downloads on this page require Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
Anthony Santandrea Scholarship
» Anthony Anthony Santandrea Scholarship Application (PDF file size 115KB)
The Anthony Santandrea Endowment Fund was established in memory of Tony Santandrea who was tragically killed in the summer of his senior year in 1995. Tony was a leader on the Rugby Team and was a brother of the former Theta Kappa Beta Fraternity. He was an Environmental Science major who spent his summers working at a Boy Scout Camp in the Adirondacks. He appreciated nature and all its beauty and he loved outdoor sports, canoeing, and backpacking.
Maximum Scholarship Award: $1,300
- Students entering their sophomore, junior or senior year majoring in one of the following areas are eligible to apply for the scholarship: Ecology, Adolescent Education (Biology/Chemistry/Geology/Earth Science), Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Geology, and Expeditionary Studies;
- Applicants must be in good standing at the college;
- An affection for the Adirondack Mountains as evidenced by enjoyment and concern for their welfare;
- Involvement in environmental protection activities;
- An active member of the campus community.
Janice Beach Memorial Community Service Award
» Janice Beach Memorial Community Service Award Application (PDF file size 105KB)
The Janice Beach Memorial Scholarship was established to recognize and encourage excellent and sustained volunteer participation in community service activities among undergraduate students at SUNY Plattsburgh.
Scholarship Award: Two $1000 awards
- Full-time matriculated students of junior or senior status as of Fall 2016 (with preference to the latter);
- A consistent and sustained record of demonstrated excellence in community service participation through volunteer and not-for-academic credit activities;
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.8.
Toni C. Bloom Scholarship
» Community Service Scholarship Application (PDF file size 215KB)
The Bloom Endowment Fund was established in the spring semester of 1987 in memory of an outstanding and charismatic student, Toni C. Bloom. Toni touched the lives of people she interacted with; she was more than just another friend. Toni always tried to expand her horizons and encouraged her friends to do the same. Toni attended main stage plays and music recitals, enjoying various cultural events sponsored by the college. She was a well-rounded individual with many interests. Toni's life was tragically cut short when she was hit by a car at 1:50 a.m. on Sunday, January 18, 1987 while walking home along Court Street.
Maximum Scholarship Award: $2800
- Applicant must be entering their junior or senior year;
- Applicant must be majoring in Art, Communications, English, French, Mass Media, Music, Philosophy, Spanish, or Theatre;
- Applicant must have at least a 2.7 GPA;
- Applicant will demonstrate participation in at least three of the following areas: service to the college, service to the Student Association, Journalism/Speech/Mass Media, campus employment, creative and performing arts, and service to the community.
Student Association (SA) Memorial Scholarship
» Student Association (SA) Memorial Scholarship Application (PDF file size 250KB)
About the Scholarship
The Student Association Memorial Scholarship recognizes and encourages leadership in campus activities among undergraduate and graduate students at the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, while honoring students who have passed away while in attendance at the college.
Full-time matriculated Student Association members with at least 24 credit hours who have been Student Association members for at least one academic year. Students must have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), and must be attending Plattsburgh State University in the semester after they apply for the scholarship.
Current Student Association Officials, Students under contract by the Student Association (for either credit or financial compensation are ineligible for this scholarship).
Students whose tuition is already fully paid through grants shall are ineligible to receive this scholarship.
Students who have previously won this scholarship are ineligible to receive it again.
Maximum Scholarship Award: Two $1000 Awards
- Preference for this award will be given to the two applicants who emulate a high degree in involvement in, and dedication to the college community. Financial need will not be considered in the evaluation of candidates for this award.
- Consideration for this award will be based on the extent and quality of involvement in the three following areas (examples are provided, other experiences and activities are acceptable):
- Service to the Student Association: Previously held an office within the Student Association, involvement with clubs and organizations, residence hall officer, Student Association Board and Committee member, etc.
- Service to the College and Student Body: Resident Assistant, Community Advocate, Summer Orientation Leader, Tutor-Counselor, food service, temp service, tour guide, peer recruiter, judicial board, etc.
- Service to the Community: Involvement in groups providing assistance to the Plattsburgh community. Crisis Center volunteer, STOP DWI, Big Brothers/Big Sisters program, United Way, etc.
For more information about financial aid and scholarship opportunities, go to Financial Aid.
For more information about student activities at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Cori Jackson, Director the Center for Student Involvement
Office: Center for Student Involvement
Location: Angell College Center 110
Phone: (518) 564-4830