Funding Your Experience
Established in the Fall of 2015 and generously supported by SUNY Plattsburgh alumni and the SUNY Plattsburgh College Foundation, the Applied Learning Grant funds students in their pursuit of an internship or other applied learning opportunity. The application process is competitive. Previous recipients have used the funds to conduct internships abroad, for commuting costs to and from an internship site in Plattsburgh, and range of experiences in between. Students who are interested in applying for an Applied Learning Grant should read the Frequently Asked Questions Section Below before filling out an application. Applicants are also encouraged to meet with the Applied Learning Coordinator before submitting their application.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Applied Learning Grant?
- What types of experiences are eligible for an Applied Learning Grant?
- What types of expenses can the Applied Learning Grant be used for?
- Who is eligible to apply?
- How do I apply for an Applied Learning Grant?
- Applied Learning Grants are available to students to provide financial support to under- or unpaid applied learning experiences and/or offset direct expenses.
- Funding is made available by through the support of the SUNY Plattsburgh College Foundation and administered by the Career Development Center (CDC)
- Internships, service learning, extended job-shadowing, apprenticeships, mentored/supervised research, co-ops, clinical/field placements, art performances and exhibits, and/or structured and sustained volunteering.
- If you have specific questions about whether an experience will qualify, visit the CDC.
- Allowable expenses include commuting, housing for experiences outside of Plattsburgh NY, travel expenses, costs associated with work permits and visas, tuition and/or fees offered by non-SUNY entities, supplies necessary for your experience.
- DISALLOWED expenses include SUNY tuition and fees, wages for on-campus assignments, commuting costs within reasonable walking distance, meals, clothing, and/or personal entertainment.
- Please note that the award you receive may not equal the amount you requested.
- We strongly recommend you talk with a financial aid advisor to ensure receipt of an Applied Learning Grant will not negatively impact your financial aid package.
- Any full-time matriculated undergraduate or graduate student
- Completed at least 12 academic credits
- Achieved a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA
- In academic good standing
- In good standing with Student Accounts
- Download and carefully review the Applied Learning Grant Information PDF
- Complete the Applied Learning Grant Application
- Email your completed application to the Applied Learning Coordinator for consideration
To learn more about Applied Learning and internships at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Mr. Morgan Pellerin, Applied Learning Coordinator
Career Development Center
Phone (518) 564-2071