New Sports Club Approval Process
Make an appointment with Karen Waterbury (Recreational Sports Director) to discuss feasibility of a new club in terms of facilities, purpose, cost and risk factors.
Phone: (518) 564-4150
Office: 314 Memorial Hall
- A sports club can be formed to meet a need and interest of a group of students in a particular sport area not already met through the intercollegiate program.
- A sports club is a student-led club whereby members accept the responsibility for the majority of the organization and training and some of the financial costs of the club. Clubs may also be required to have coach or supervisor to be approved.
- The Recreational Sports Director will be the advisor as well as supervisor of all sports clubs.
Development of proposal in coordination with Recreational Sports Director that covers the following:
(Refer to SUNY Plattsburgh Sports Club Manual for regulations concerning sports clubs)
- Club purpose (competitive, recreational, instructional)
- Club organizational structure & student leadership positions
- Minimum/maximum membership numbers
- Long range viability
- Long range student leadership
- Rules and regulations
- Safety regulations
- Equipment requirements (What members are expected to supply and what is expected to be budgeted from the Student Association through budget process)
- Facility needs and availability
- Development of financial plan
- Availability of opponents within a 300 mile radius, if competitive
- Length of season
Once the proposal has primary approval of Recreational Sports Director, and information/interest meeting will be scheduled.
If student interest is demonstrated at the informational meeting, the Recreational Sports Director will review the club's proposal for final approval and forward approval and approved proposal to Student Association under the sports club umbrella.
The Recreational Sports Director will budget for the club in the next Student Association budget cycle.
All required paperwork will be submitted to Recreational Sports Director. All financial aspects of the club must be signed and submitted to the Recreational Sports Director before processed by Student Association.
Karen Waterbury, Recreational Sports Director
312 Memorial Hall
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-4150
Fax: (518) 564-4155