Clubs Sports Rules and Guidelines
Each member must be a full-time SUNY Plattsburgh student and each member must have a signed SUNY Plattsburgh Sports Club Personal Information Form & SUNY Plattsburgh Participation Agreement/Liability Waiver Form on file to participate each year. (If under 18 years of age, liability form must be signed by parent.)Each member is responsible to carry personal health insurance. Each member will be responsible for the cost of the individual membership with USA Rugby in the form of a CIPP membership/insurance. All members are expected to follow regulations stated in SUNY Plattsburgh Sports Club Program Manual.
Season and Practices
During the fall practices are held each week Monday-Friday 4:00pm-6:00pm. Each player is responsible to attend three practices a week in order to be eligible for the game that weekend. Games during the regular season are scheduled for Saturdays, though playoff games may occur on both a Saturday and Sunday with multiple games in one weekend.
Each member will be responsible for purchasing their own jersey as designated by the club.
Four club members will be required to serve as safety officers for club. They will be responsible for the general safety of all club members during practices and rugby matches and have valid CPR/First Aid certifications. At least one safety officer must attend all practices and competitions. Safety officers are responsible for attending to injured participant consistent with CPR/FA standards until trained medical personnel have arrived.
Travel arrangements are usually by private cars. The college is not responsible for any damages or injuries related to travel. It is strongly recommended that drivers of personal cars obtain additional insurance. Club members wishing to transport other club members must receive approval prior to traveling. To become an authorized driver, a copy of their driver’s license and the SUNY Plattsburgh Private Vehicle use form must be submitted to the RSD. Tournaments: Competition must be within 300 mile radius of Plattsburgh
Monies may be used for coaches salary, GU Empire Conference dues, officials, entry fees, mileage (up to maximum of 300 miles one way) @ .25 per mile and lodging. Individual members will be responsible for USA Rugby individual membership and jerseys if needed.
Rugby Coaches and Student Leadership Responsibilities
Rugby coaches are required to be certified in CPR/FA and have a USA rugby coach certification. The coach and leaders will meet with the Recreational Sports Director (RSD) for orientation at the start of each semester. A Sports Club Manual, Club & Organization Resource Manual and a copy of the club’s operating guidelines will be reviewed at the orientation. All required forms must be submitted for a member to participate or drive for the club. Club/Organization Semester Registration and Directory forms must be submitted to the RSD each semester.
Sports Club Leader and Coaching Staff Expectations
Student leaders and coaching staff associated with the rugby sports clubs will coordinate with the Recreational Sports Director (RSD) as described below.
Coaching Staff and Field Captains will:
- Not allow a student to participate in a practice or game unless appropriate forms have been submitted.
- Allow only those on approved roster from RSD to participate in games.
- Take attendance at every practice from approved player roster.
- Update approved player roster from RSD. (Deleting names of those no longer participating and are not showing up to practices).
- Assure that only those players who have attended practices during the week may play in game or travel with the team.
- Set up player coaching staff and work with these students on practices when coach is not available.
- Will not allow an injured player to return to practice or a game without a release from qualified medical personnel.
Team President and Vice President will:
- Ensure that all players are SUNY Plattsburgh students (by checking on student locator) and carrying 12 credits.
- Ensure that all players are CIPP with USA Rugby and have required forms on file with RSD.
- Ensure that the club and its members are aware of and follow all rules and regulations set forth by the College and Student Association regarding Clubs.
- Attend or designate attendees at any mandatory meetings set forth by the College, the Student Association, or NYS Rugby.
- Submit Student Association Registration and Directory forms to RSD each semester.
- Submit all monies collected to the Recreational Sports Director.
- Submit all requests for monies two weeks prior to event.
- For all away games, submit the following Monday names and addresses of up to five drivers for travel reimbursement. (Can do by email).
- Assign responsibility for managing club equipment and will be responsible for accounting for and securing such equipment at the beginning and end of each season.
Match Secretary will:
- Work with NYS Rugby on any scheduling/re-scheduling.
- Schedule EMT’s for home games by the Sunday prior to home game.
- Confirming referees for home games.
- Report scores for all home games by Sunday following games.
- File an accident injury report for any injury that occurs during participation.
Karen Waterbury, Recreational Sports Director
312 Memorial Hall
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-4150
Fax: (518) 564-4155