Intramural Indoor Basketball Rules
- ID cards will be collected from each player. Score keepers will check ID's against approved roster and place names on score sheet. NO ID-NO PLAY. Players are to pick up their ID at end of game.
- Score keepers will keep track of fouls (team and individual), the running score and time. Do not hover over the scorers and distract them.
- A floor captain must be designed for each team. They alone may discuss problems with the officials. Remember, "zero tolerance" for talking to officials. Clear up any problems prior to the start of each game particularly questions concerning eligibility of players.
- Please notify the intramural coordinator if rims are broken or nets need to be replaced.
- Teams must wear numbered jerseys of same color or pinnies will be provided.
5 on 5
- Two 20 minute halves; continuous running time except for time-outs and the last two minutes of each half. The last two minutes will be timed according to regulation play.
- Tied games: one five minute overtime period running time. If game remains a tie after overtime period, tie will stand. Each team may have one time out in overtime period.
- Five individual fouls removes a player from play.
- The sixth team foul begins the bonus free throw situation (1-1)
- Foul shot lane violation: players may move into the paint after a foul shot only after the ball has made contact with the rim.
- Four time outs per game per team. Time outs not used during regulation play may not be carried over into overtime.
- There will be a jump ball to start the game. Alternated possession rule will be in effect for the remainder of the game.
- Substitutes must report to the scorer and wait for a dead ball before entering the game. No substitutes on the fly. (Technical)
- Mercy rule: If a team is winning by 30 or more points with 10 minutes or less left, the winning team automatically wins and the game is over. If both teams wish to continue playing they can do so, but the official game is over.
3 on 3
- PSU ID cards will be collected from each player prior to the game. Scorekeepers will check IDs against approved rosters and place names on score sheet. NO ID = NO PLAY!
- Scorekeepers will keep track of fouls (team and individual) and the running score.
- A floor captain must be designated for each team. Only captains may discuss rules or procedures with the officials. Remember, "zero tolerance" for talking to officials. Clear up any problems prior to the start of each game, particularly concerning eligibility of players.
- Teams must wear numbered jerseys of the same color, or pinnies will be provided.
- The game will be played on a half court by two teams of three players. A minimum of three players is necessary to start a game; however a game can be continued with two players if necessary.
- First team to 21 points wins; 3 pointers count as 2 points, 2 pointers count as 1, and foul shots count as 1 point each. No need to win by 2 points.
- Each team may call one 60-second timeout per half.
- Starting possession will be awarded to the team listed first on the bracket.
- Foul shots will be awarded in the same manner as indoor regulation games. Five individual fouls removes a player from the game. Six team fouls and beyond will results in an additional foul shot and possession of ball to the offended team.
- Substitutes must wait for a dead ball before entering the game. No substitution on the fly.
- After every change of possession, the offensive team must take the ball outside the three point line to check. The ball must be passed before a shot is taken.
- Dunking or grabbing the rim or net is not allowed before, during, or after the games. Players will automatically be ejected from the playing area.
- Made baskets will result in a change of possession.
Rules Updated 9/14
If you have questions about Intramural Sports at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 3:30-4:30
Phone: (518) 564-4149