Tax Information for Students
Each calendar year Student Accounts provides tax information for both U. S. and Canadian students.
If you received a 1098-T tax form, please keep in mind two things about this information. First, we only report eligible charges and credits. We do not report personal payments made. This method is used SUNY-wide. Second, eligible charges and credits are reported in the calendar year in which they are posted. For example, if you were charged tuition and fees in November 2013 for spring 2014 classes, those eligible charges are included in your 1098-T for 2013 because the charges were posted in 2013 – not 2014. Remember that you can go to MyPlattsburgh to print this tax form for any calendar year in which you have eligible charges and credits.
Here's how to view your 1098-T tax form online:
- Login to MyPlattsburgh
- Click the [Student Services] tab at the top of the page
- Look for the [Student Accounts] section on the right part of the page
- Click the [My Tax Notification] link which is the fourth option in the [Student Accounts] section
- Enter a tax year (2013 for example)
- Click the [Submit] button
Here are a couple of resources from the IRS. Note: both of these files require Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
- Form 8863 - Education Credits (PDF file size 90KB)
- Publication 970 - Tax Benefits for Education (PDF file size 1.7 MB)
As a Canadian student, you need to request tax information from us. We will then provide this information to you using two forms:
- Form TL11DE, Tuition Fees Certificate - Educational Institutions Outside Canada for a Deemed Resident of Canada. This form is completed for each semester attended during a particular calendar year (January through December).
- Form TL11A, Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate - University Outside Canada. Ths form is completed for each calendar year for which tax information is requested. It comprises the total amount of eligible tuition and fees for all terms the student attended for any given calendar year.
Phone: (518) 564-3120
Fax: (518) 564-3116
Email: [email protected]
Student Accounts, 101 Kehoe Administration Building
101 Broad Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901