Using Cardinal Cloud email (Gmail) at SUNY Plattsburgh
Anybody who uses Gmail for their personal email account will immediately recognize the feature-filled webmail that comes with Cardinal Cloud. Our "Google apps for education" suite offers many helpful features, making it a preferred way to read your SUNY Plattsburgh email.
- Get quick access to email on the homepage of the website, in the portal, or going directly to email.plattsburgh.edu
- Using Gmail
- Switching from Outlook to Google Mail
- Using Google Contacts
Can I still use Outlook if I want?
Yes! With Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook you can. See the instructions below for getting it setup. There are instructions for other popular mail clients as well. However, we can only support basic features of mail clients if you are not using the web interface or the Google Apps Sync.
Your version of Outlook may differ slightly from the screenshots, but the basics are the same. This tutorial allows you to sync your Contacts, Calendar, and Mail between Outlook and Cardinal Cloud. If you are looking to only set it up as an email client and ONLY connect to your IMAP email and not caring about calendar or contacts, then use the Advanced Outlook Client tutorial.
The following video has some useful information on the sync tool and how it works, view the tutorial below the video to see step-by-step how things should be setup with your Cardinal Cloud account.
- First, you need to download the Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook. Click the blue download button. If your browser asks you to run or save you can click run; if your browser saves the file by default, you should look on your Desktop or in the Downloads folder.
- When the download runs or you double click on the saved file you will see an initializing window. Wait for this to load.
- When the installer finished initializing you can click the close button. A new window is now available where you enter your SUNY Plattsburgh email address.
- You are safe to click continue after entering your email.
- An internet browser window will open after clicking continue with a note stating that the application would like to view and manage your mail, among other things. It is okay to scroll to the bottom and click "Accept" to let the program sync your mail.
- Lastly, you will receive a screen asking you to indicate whether you'd like to important any items from your current profile. Users who have local mail and folders, or local calendars, will want to check this box. Check the boxes next to what you'd like to important and click "Create Profile." Your mail on the server will have already been imported by our process. Note: It would be a good idea to click "Show Advanced Settings" and choose an unlimited Mailbox size. This makes it so everything syncs to Cardinal Cloud. Afterwards, if there is anything missing from your profile call ext 4433.
Download the Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook tool
- Open Thunderbird and select the "Tools" menu, if the top bard is not appearing press the "Alt" key on the keyboard and it will temporarily appear to allow you to select Tools. Then choose Account Settings.
- Then choose the "Add Mail Account" at the bottom where it says Account Actions.
- Enter your name as you'd like it to appear to folks you send email to. Also enter your SUNY Plattsburgh email address and password; you may want to uncheck the Remember Password option if you are on a personal or portable computer. Click Continue.
- Thunderbird is going to attempt to discover the settings automatically, this will fail, so click the "Stop" button below that appears and then select the "Manual config" button.
- In the new window leave the dropdown set to IMAP and type in "imap.gmail.com" for the Incoming field. Also in the incoming section, change the dropdown under Port to 992. Then move on to the Outgoing section by typing "smtp.gmail.com" in the field and then selecting 465 from the Port dropdown. The SSL dropdowns will change to "SSL/TLS," leave them as is. Click "Re-test" and then "Done" to finalize. Now you're ready to use Thunderbird normally.
If you want to sync everything, including email, it's easier just to set up an entire "Internet Account" from within the settings app and choosing "Google" for your provider. For more details view the Mac Calendar app page for instructions on setting this up.
- Open Apple mail and go to new account creation. If you have never set up an account before this will open by default the first time you run it. From that menu select "Add Other Mail Account..."
- Enter your name as you'd like it to be viewed from others who receive your email messages. Then enter your SUNY Plattsburgh email address and password. Click create.
- This will open a new windows that states that the account must be entered manually, and it will ask you for IMAP server information. By default the IMAP selction should be selected, then enter "imap.gmail.com" where it asks for mail server. Leave your username and password as is. Click Next.
- It will then ask you for incoming mail server info. This should be already set as default to Port 993 with the "Use SSL" box checked. If it is not, set those and click Next.
- Lastly, it will ask for outgoing mail server info. For SMTP server you enter "smtp.gmail.com" and then enter your full email address and password in the next fields. Click "Create" and your account is now setup.
Generic Email Client Information
Its okay if you don't have an email client that is listed in the other tabs... you can use any email client that supports IMAP to connect to your Cardinal Cloud email account. For more information than is provided below you can visit the Google Apps Support IMAP client list which contains additional instructions for various popular clients. Use the information below to fill in the fields requested by your email application:
- Incoming Mail Server Settings
- IMAP Host: imap.gmail.com
- Port: 993
- Requires SSL: Yes
- Username: Your username is your full email address ending in @plattsburgh.edu
- Note: Don't use a first_name.last_name alias as your username, use your regular NetID email
- Outgoing Mail Server Settings
- IMAP Host: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 465 or 587 (either will work)
- Requires Authentication: Yes
- Use same settings as incoming mail server. (e.g. same username and password for authentication)
For more information about technology at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Computing Systems and Desktop Support — Helpdesk
Phone: (518) 564-4433
Toll-Free Phone: 1-800-787-8773
Regular Semester Hours
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
8 a.m.–4 p.m.