Can I get my email on my smartphone or tablet device?
We recommend it! With Cardinal Cloud its easy to get your email, calendar, and contacts on the Go. We've tailored instructions to the most popular devices below. Generally, we recommend downloading the Gmail app specifically made for your device because it will give you the best experience; we've placed direct links to these apps on their corresponding marketplaces for your convenience. All these apps are free! If you must use your native mail client, we've got some instructions in the categories below as well.
iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
iOS makes it pretty easy to get your Cardinal Cloud email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Here are two ways to get your mail:
- Using the native mail client:
- Open the "Settings" app
- Go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" selection
- Select "Add Account"
- Choose "Google"
- Enter your name, SUNY Plattsburgh Email Address, Password, and name the account
- Click Next and you're done!
- Using the Gmail App for iOS:
- Download the Gmail App for iOS Here
- Open the app and enter your SUNY Plattsburgh email address and password when prompted... done!
- While you're at it download the Google Calendar app as well for easy calendar viewing, just search the store
Android is another platform that makes it easy to get your Cardinal Cloud mail, heres how:
- Using the app:
- Download the Gmail App from the Google Play store for free
- Open the app and enter your SUNY Plattsburgh email and password when prompted
- Click Next and you're done!
- Using the native app:
Note: Using the native app on some versions of Android may not work with Cardinal Cloud, if you have problems we recommend downloading the app via the instructions above
- Go to the Apps screen and select "Email"
- Click add new account if none is setup
- Enter your email address and password, but choose manual setup and use the settings provided under the Generic Phone tab above
On Windows Phone we recommend downloading the Gmail application:
- Get the Gmail App for Windows Phone:
- Search in the store or download the Gmail app from the Windows Phone Marketplace
- In the app login with your SUNY Plattsburgh email address and password
- Using the native client:
- Go to the email app and select to setup a new email account
- Use manual setup to specify the IMAP and SMTP settings provided under the Generic Phone tab above
Windows RT comes on many tablets like the Microsoft Surface and includes a built in mail client. These steps can be used on full versions of Windows 8 or 8.1 to setup the built in Mail client RT app as well.
- On the start screen find your mail app. On our device it is the first app that displays in the top left corner."
- You may encounter a loading screen that could take a few seconds depending on your device.
- If this is the first time you've opened the app or if you have never setup an account the app will ask you to choose what type of account you wish to setup. If you have another mail account you have to go to the add new account screen to get these choices. You select "Google" from the list provided.
- The next screen is the familiar Google authentication screen that is displayed with many apps that utilize Google accounts, this will verify your credentials. You should enter your full @plattsburgh.edu address and password here.
- The application will then recognize that you are signing in with a Cardinal Cloud account and therefore let you know that the account is managed by plattsburgh.edu and you will be forwarded to the Cardinal Cloud login page.
- On the Cardinal Cloud login page you will be asked to sign in with your username and password, this is your NetID and password. Note: You do not need to enter your feel email address here.
- After a successful login you will be asked if you would like to allow the Mail application from Microsoft to manage your information. To use the Mail app you must click accept on this screen.
- The next screen asks if you would like the Mail app to remember your sign-in information. If you click "Yes" you won't be asked for a username and password again. If you select "Skip" you will have to go through the sign-in process every time you open the Mail app again or reboot your device. Note: For security reasons, if you don't have a password or code to enter your mobile device, it might be a good idea to NOT remember your login credentials. After choosing you will be taken to the main Mail app's Inbox screen to view all your mail. Your account is now setup.
If you use a Blackberry device you can choose to set up your mail account using the default Blackberry mail app with the settings provided under the Generic Phone tab above. However, Blackberry and Google recommend you set up a Blackberry Internet Services account if you would like to sync all your Google or Cardinal Cloud information with your Blackberry.
- Start by open a web browser and navigating to the Blackbery Internet Services page, or simply click the link provided above. Click the "Create New Account" button.
- Read the agreement and check the box stating that you've read the terms, then click "I Agree" if you agree. You must agree to Blackberry's terms to use their service.
- You will then be prompted to enter your Blackberry device's PIN and IMEI/ESN/MEID. This screen will give you instructions on how to find this information in your phone.
- After entering the information you will be prompted to create a username and password you will use to login to the service. Finish the account setup by entering that information and logging in. Once in Blackberry Internet Services you will have an option to "SetUp An Existing Email Account" when adding a new email. Enter your SUNY Plattsburgh email address and password here.
- If you receive the message that it was successful you are done, you can now login to your Blackberry Internet Services account on your Blackberry to sync your Cardinal Cloud account. Otherwise, it may notify you that it could not find the appropriate information in which case you have to enter it manually.
- Otherwise, it may notify you that it could not find the appropriate information in which case you have to enter it manually. In this case, follow the next screens of the tutorial..
- Click "I will provide these settings to add this email account" to signify you will manually setup the account.
- Click "This is my work email account" to signal it is a work account.
- Choose "I will provide the settings to add this email account" under the "Internet Service Provider Email" heading.
- On the next page enter the information provided under the Generic Phone tab above and click Next. Your account will now be setup.
- Once you've done that you can navigate to your Internet Mail Account settings on your Blackberry device and enter the login information for your newly created Blackberry Internet Services account.
Generic Phone Email Client Information
Its okay if you don't have a phone client that is listed in the other tabs... you can use any email client that supports IMAP to connect to your Cardinal Cloud email account. For more information than is provided below you can visit the Google Apps Support IMAP client list which contains additional instructions for various popular clients. Use the information below to fill in the fields requested by your email application:
- Incoming Mail Server Settings
- IMAP Host: imap.gmail.com
- Port: 993
- Requires SSL: Yes
- Username: Your username is your full email address ending in @plattsburgh.edu
- Note: Don't use a first_name.last_name alias as your username, use your regular NetID email
- Outgoing Mail Server Settings
- IMAP Host: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 465 or 587 (either will work)
- Requires Authentication: Yes
- Use same settings as incoming mail server. (e.g. same username and password for authentication)
For more information about technology at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Computing Systems and Desktop Support — Helpdesk
Phone: (518) 564-4433
Toll-Free Phone: 1-800-787-8773
Email: [email protected]
Regular Semester Hours
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
8 a.m.–4 p.m.