Teaching Videoconference Courses at SUNY Plattsburgh
A Guide for Faculty
Use this guide to prepare for teaching videoconferencing course between SUNY Plattsburgh's main campus and SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury in Glens Falls, NY.
- For teaching tips and strategies, read our Videoconferencing Basics guide or Seven Teaching Tips for Faculty.
- Order your books - Make sure that books you need for courses have been ordered at both locations.
- Parking - Tags are required at SUNY Plattsburgh and SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury. Contact SUNY Plattsburgh University Police (tel. 518-564-2022) for main campus tags. Contact Ms. Bonni Garvey (tel. 518-792-5425, ext. 101) for Branch Campus stickers.
- Class times - Be sure to check the Master Schedule for class times to make sure they are accurate for both locations.
- Using the equipment - Directions are posted in the SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury and Plattsburgh rooms. The set-up is similar to regular smart classrooms; it includes a dual-screen projector, flat-screen monitor, and white board.
- Practice run - Faculty can practice at an initial meeting held prior to the start of the semester. We'll turn on the system, let you see what it looks like and how it works, and answer your questions.
- Identification - You'll need a faculty ID for door access at both SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury and the main Plattsburgh campus.
- Computer Login - Please contact Michelle Howland (see below) to request login information at least one month prior to the start of the semester. Your technician will show you how to login.
- Telephone - Use your SUNY Plattsburgh PBN or SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury access code.
- Equipment at both locations: Fax machine and phone, Polycom system in Redcay Mowry Room (RHEC146 in Queensbury) and Cisco in AuSable 123, VCR/DVD units, projectors, desktop computer, laptop connection.
Technical Asssistants - These support personnel mean that you should have no need to worry about technology. "Techs" will be in your room prior to class to power-up equipment and connect with the remote site.
Teaching with Interactive Video - You'll find an online Interactive Video workshop in Moodle. This workshop discusses using the equipment and the issues surrounding Interactive Video in an instructional setting. For access, contact Holly Heller-Ross, Dean of Library and Information Technology Services (Tel. 518-564-5180 / E-mail: [email protected]).
Moodle Learning Management System - For help with specific questions, contact the John Locke, LITS Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) Unit Coordinator, at the Main Campus (t. 518-564-4537). Or email your questions to [email protected]
SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury Contact for Videoconferencing
- Michelle Howland, Assistant to the Dean
SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury
518-792-5425 ext. 104
E-mail: [email protected]
For more information about Library and Information Technology Services, please contact:
Holly Heller-Ross, Dean and CIO
Library and Information Technology Services
2 Draper Avenue, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-5180
Fax: (518) 564-5100
Email: [email protected]