New Helpdesk Service Management System
Serving you better with ServiceNow
Library and Information Technology Services (LITS) has begun using a new cloud-based IT service management system called ServiceNow. This system now handles all of the Helpdesk tickets that you submit.
ServiceNow boosts our ability to manage our numerous and expanding set of campus services. It also helps us to make improvements and, most importantly, to better serve the needs of the campus community.
You might notice that ServiceNow has some differences compared with the former Helpdesk management system; these include
- Return email address: The new system will be sending emails from "@service-now.com" instead of "@helpsuite.plattsburgh.edu"
- Embedded links: Links in emails you receive from the system will point to https://suny.service-now.com/ instead of https://helpsuite.plattsburgh.edu/
- Terminology: The system will classify Helpdesk calls or submissions as Incidents (recording something that is broken) and Requests (recording something new or which is requested to be changed).
What's the same
Some things aren't changing in the short term, so please continue to:
- email your requests for service or incident reports to email@example.com;
- use other service-based emails like "firstname.lastname@example.org" as you have in the past;
- use the incident and questions block/ button in your Moodle course pages;
- use Banner and other request forms, such as the CPR, as you have in the past.
Full implementation of the new system will involve extension to or integration with other request-processing systems, such as Banner CPRs or Lab and Classroom Trouble Reports.
Our eventual goal is to provide you with a single point of contact for incident reporting and a fully documented catalog of services so that "no door is the wrong door" when requesting assistance from LITS tech services.
For more information about technology at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Computing Systems and Desktop Support — Helpdesk
Phone: (518) 564-4433
Toll-Free Phone: 1-800-787-8773
Regular Semester Hours
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
8 a.m.–4 p.m.