Web Hosting Services for SUNY Plattsburgh Students
Obtaining an off-campus website account
SUNY Plattsburgh does not provide web hosting services for students (or for faculty). However, the College has a Microsoft (MS) agreement that allows students access to MS Office 365, which allows for the hosting of websites, blogs, and other applications. The service also lets you download Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
The web-hosting program is called Microsoft Azure for Students, and it is free. IMPORTANT: this program is not part of your standard SUNY Plattsburgh account with Microsoft. Therefore, you need to create a separate personal Microsoft Imagine account to use with this free service. The steps below will guide you through this process.
Steps to create your new account
1. Sign up:
- Go to the MS Imagine home page. or MS Azure for Students.
- Click "Sign In" or "Sign in to access"; this will give you a new page with a "Create Account" button below the login page. Click that to start creating an account.
2. Create your account using a non-Plattsburgh email account (this system will not allow you to sign-up with a SUNY Plattsburgh email address).
- Use a personal email address or sign up for a free email at one of the popular email services like Gmail or Yahoo.
- The system will then ask you questions about the school that you attend, your graduation date, etc. Answer the questions and click "I accept" after reading the agreement.
3. Verify your student status.
- Choose Azure for Students and then log-in to your Microsoft Image account. You will notice that the "Register Now" button is still grayed out. You need to verify your student status.
- Click "Please verify your student status."
4. Choose email verification.
- From the drop-down box provided on the verification page, choose "School email address" where it asks "How you would like to verify your student status?"
- Select the email option and enter your SUNY Plattsburgh email address twice.
5. Confirm your email address.
- Click on the link in the email that you receive from Microsoft Imagine to confirm that you received the message.
- You receive a notice "You will be receiving an email shortly. Once you do, follow the link provided to verify your student email."
- Login to your email address and find the message from Microsoft Imagine.
- Click the link in the email
6. Activate Microsoft Azure
- After you confirm the email, navigate back to the Azure for Students page and click the "Active Azure now" button to activate Azure for your account.
- Click "Activate Azure now."
7. Register for Azure. You may be brought back to the Microsoft Azure for Students page where the "Register now" button will no longer be inactivated, you can now click it to register.
- Click "Register Now"
- You can check out the "Using Microsoft Azure for Students" link at the bottom of that page to view materials on how Azure works.
8. Login to the Azure Portal. You will now be able to log-in to the Azure portal. The "Register Now" button should bring you there, but if not you can go directly to https://portal.azure.com to get to the Azure portal.
- Log-in to the Azure Portal with the account you just created using your personal email.
- Explore the various Azure services that are available to you, and view the Help for more information.
9. Try out creating an "App Service." To host a blog, website, or web application, you can use the simple one-click se-tup under "App services" that best suits your needs.
- Click "App services" in the left menu.
- Select a service that best suits your needs (e.g., WordPress for a blog/website CMS, Web App + SQL for a web application, or just Web App for a simple website or basic application).
10. Add a Subscription. Though you now have an Azure account, you will find out that when you try to add a resource (like a WebApp) Azure will ask you to sign up for a subscription. Because you created a Microsoft Imagine account, you get a free subscription.
- Click "Sign up for a new subscription"
11. Choose the Microsoft Imagine option. You need to select Microsoft Imagine. Students using Microsoft Imagine get access to Azure cloud services at no cost.
- Click "Microsoft Imagine"
12. Fill in your information and verify your identify via an automated text or phone call.
- Fill in your information.
- Verify your identity.
- Read the agreement, check "I agree" box, and click "Sign up."
All done! You will receive a welcome message and a page with some helpful resources and tutorials. You will receive an email when your Azure subscription is all provisioned and you can start creating that web project!
- Create your web project!
For more information about technology at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Phone: (518) 564-4433 / toll-free 1-800-787-8773