Title IX Annual Report to Counsel (2013-2014)
Submitted by SUNY Plattsburgh, 29 May 29 2014.
Two reviews of reports of sexual harassment and sexual violence cases, 5 February 2014 and 29 May 2014.
Attendants: Lynda Ames (Title IX Coordinator), Arlene Sabo (Chief, University Police), Bryan Hartman (VP Student Affairs), Steve Matthews (Dean of Students), Larry Allen (Judicial Affairs) [both meetings]; Jim Sherman ( Residence Life), Rhema Lewis (Advocate) [February meeting only].
Verbal Sexual Harassment
Number of Reports: 14
- All informal, all informal resolutions.
Sexual Violence/Sexual Assault
Number of Reports: 12.
- In three cases, charges investigated and referred to County District Attorney; in all three cases, DA declined prosecution; two victims declined to pursue campus charges.
- In one of the above, victim did file campus charges; respondent found “not responsible.”
- In other cases, victims declined to pursue legal or campus charges; insufficient evidence to pursue without victim testimony.
Sex Discrimination Based on Pregnancy
Other Sex Discrimination
Patterns or Trends
- Two of accused are members of sports teams (one of those DA declined prosecution; the other victim did not wish to have her name used).
- DA declined prosecution in two cases of her-version-versus-his.
Actions Taken in Response to Trends
- Will increase training for sports teams and coaches in fall. Athletic Director already planning to bring in major speaker on sexual violence.
- Will develop new definitions of “consent” for policies; more training on consent for students.
Title IX Coordinator
Office: Hawkins 151
Phone: (518) 564-3281